Wednesday, June 1, 2011

CSA: Week 4

Four weeks into my CSA, and I have learned a few things.  First, even a half-share is a bit too much for me, especially when the majority (by mass percentage) of produce I have received recently has been lettuce.  I am not a big lettuce eater -- when it comes to salad, I prefer things like arugula, spinach, rampon, and the like.  Second, I still need to become more creative with these vegetables.  Third, I really like radishes!

This week's half-share featured my first fruit, though my fruit share delivery does not officially start until later this month:
  • Red leaf lettuce (I gave this to my dad)
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Red kale (maybe make kale chips?  I failed to use the kale from the previous delivery)
  • Spring garlic
  • Strawberries
  • Mint
If nothing else, the mint smells amazing.  I already had a salad last night (supplemented with red radishes I picked up at the farmer's market stand that shows up on Tuesdays at Drexel), and hopefully I will try the kale chips this week.  The strawberries were pretty good -- some were excellent, others were not yet ripe.  The good news is that these strawberries are pretty much red right through, unlike the giant mutant monstrosities they sell at grocery stores, which look beautiful on the outside but are otherwise tasteless.

No comments:

Post a Comment