Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Beets are Da Bomb Diggity

I've had beets before, though mostly pickled, boiled, or thinly sliced and served raw in a salad.  Yesterday I roasted the red beets I received in my CSA shipment, as an accompaniment to some chicken paillard (or escalope, as the kids are calling it).

Wow, talk about tasty awesome.  I peeled the beets and cut them into 1/2" slices, halving the larger slices to even out the sizes of the various pieces.  Then I tossed them with extra virgin olive oil and a liberal dash of kosher salt, and put them into a 425F (~220C) oven for 25 minutes.  Honestly, they probably could have stood to roast longer, just to caramelize the edges a bit more, but regardless they were sweet, mellow, and delicious.

Thus, eight weeks into the CSA, I've discovered I really like radishes and beets.  Go figure.


  1. You should take pictures and post one for each food post, ie. all of them.

    Also, kosher salt? Is this American slang?

  2. Hmm, I will try doing that. I think I might have a picture of one of the first salads I made with arugula and radish.

    As for kosher salt, I suppose it is an American term: Basically, it is non-iodinated salt with a much larger grain size than table salt. It is the only salt I cook with, because I am convinced that it tastes better.