Friday, June 17, 2011

CSA: Week 6

I waited to post a bit longer this week, so I could talk about what I've made using the fruits and vegetables from my CSA share.  This week was the first for fruit shares (even though the shares have included strawberries the last two weeks):
  • Red butterhead lettuce (I gave this away)
  • Radicchio (I also gave this away)
  • Garlic scapes
  • White scallions
  • Pea tendrils
  • New red potatoes
  • Broccoli
  • Rainier cherries
  • Applesauce
As you can see, I gave away the salad greens because I probably would not eat them otherwise.  I also had some portabello mushrooms and scapes left over from the previous week.  The first thing I made was a pesto from scapes and walnuts.  It was very tasty and the scapes had a slight sweetness, but it probably needed to be sauteed briefly -- otherwise the pungency of the scapes eventually became too much.  The next day, I made a stir fry of tofu, scapes, and portabello mushrooms, finished off with hoisin sauce.  That was very good.  Finally, I prepared some of the new potatoes -- nothing fancy, just quartered, boiled, and mixed with butter, dill, salt, and pepper -- as a side dish to accompany a pork chop with, what else, applesauce.

I also ate the one pound of cherries in one night.  I really like cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment