Monday, June 27, 2011

CSA: Weeks 7 and 8

Oh no, I am behind!  Here is a quick recap of what I received last week and what I just picked up (15 minutes ago) this week:
  • New red potatoes
  • White cucumbers
  • Broccoli
  • Curly endive
  • Garlic scapes
  • Red chard
  • Strawberry jam
  • Blueberries
I quickly used the red chard in a pasta dish with butter and lemon (of course I overdid the lemon, and I actually do not like chard).  Both the scapes and the broccoli were used in stir fries.  I have eaten one white cucumber just to try it, and I am accumulating potatoes (week 6 also included new reds).  The endive, predictably, did not get eaten.

This week, my delivery is once again ridiculously robust.  I am doing my best to give away a few of the items:
  • Green romaine lettuce
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower (swapped for fennel)
  • White cucumbers
  • Collard greens
  • Pea tendrils
  • Red beets
  • Yellow squash
  • Cilantro
  • Blueberries
  • Sour cherries
Hopefully I can find takers for the lettuce, broccoli, and maybe the cucumbers.  I do not normally cook or eat collard greens, but these ones looked really good.  I am probably going to freeze the blueberries with last week's pint.  And I have no idea what I am going to do with the sour cherries -- baking them, or maybe some sort of compote or sauce to go with duck or those beef short ribs I have in the freezer.  I am looking forward to trying the beets (I like beets, but never cook with them) and the squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment