Monday, August 8, 2011

CSA: Week 14

The assault of watermelons continues!  Actually, I am pretty happy about this -- I like watermelon, and having local, in-season watermelon is really nice, but it is murder to carry these things around.  I need to (a) get ripped and (b) buy a collapsible cart or something.  Anyways, this week had some more of the recent standbys:
  • Sweet corn
  • Italian eggplant
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Yellow straightneck squash
  • Green bell peppers
  • Romaine lettuce (given away)
  • Butterhead lettuce (given away)
  • Heirloom golden midget watermelon
  • Red seedless watermelon
  • Peaches
 I am really excited to crack open the heirloom watermelon -- it is small, yellow on the outside, and apparently pink-to-red on the inside.  Maybe I should try making some more exotic watermelon dishes this week?  Two that really inspire me: the sorbetto di cocomero at Gelateria Perchè No! in Florence, and the watermelon gazpacho at Distrito.

No comments:

Post a Comment